For the Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit Course Information, return to the main page. NRA pistol courses do not meet the training requirements for a Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit.
NRA Pistol Courses
I am certified to teach the following NRA pistol courses. However, at the present I only book these courses one month in advance. Prices start at $400 for up to 4 students on a single day Monday, or Tuesday course.
NRA Courses available:
- NRA First Steps Pistol (3 hours)
- Introductory Course, No Prerequisites. This course provides hands-on introduction to safe handling and use of one specific pistol.
- Topics: Pistol Safety, Pistol Parts, Pistol Operation, Ammunition, Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting, Range Safety, Pistol Cleaning, Storage
- Livefire Exercise: Benchrest Position
- NRA Basic Pistol (8 hours) -
- Introductory Course, No Prerequisites. This course is an introduction to safe ownership of pistols and basic pistol shooting skills.
- Topics: Pistol Knowledge, Safe Gun Handling, Ammunition Knowledge, Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting, Pistol Selection, Pistol Cleaning, Scoring Targets
- Livefire Exercise: Benchrest Position, Two Handed Standing Position.
- NRA Personal Protection Inside The Home (8 hours) -
- Intermediate Course
- Topics: Defensive Mindset, Firearm Responsibility, Defensive Marksmanship, Seeking Concealment and Cover within the Home, Laws regarding possession and pistols and use of lethal force, Aftermath of Shooting, Pistol Selection for Home Defense
- Prerequisites: This course is designed for adults who have already mastered safe gun handling, basic pistol shooting, and cleaning firearms. In order to take this class, the student must have a NRA Basic Pistol Certificate, an NRA First Steps Pistol Certificate, an NRA psitol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD214 with pistol qualification, or pass the pre-course assessment.
- Livefire Exercises: Defensive Shooting Exercises
- NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home (2 day Course, 14 hours) -
- Intermediate Course
- Topics: Defensive Mindset, Responsible Shooting Outside the Home, Secure Storage of Firearms Outside the Home, Defensive Marksmanship, Malfunction Clearing, Seeking Cover and Concealment Outside the Home, Aftermath of a Shooting, Laws Regarding Firearm Carry and Self-Defense Outside the Home, Pistol Concealment Techniques, Firearm Selection.
- Prerequisites: This course is designed for adults who have already mastered the concepts covered in the NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home course. An NRA Basic Personal Protection In the Home Course Certificate is required, or the student must be able to pass the pre-course assessment test, including the ability to maintain a five shot nine-inch group with a handgun from 21 feet.
- Livefire Exercises: Kneeling Shooting, Standing Shooting, Point Shooting, Using Cover, Reloading Drills, Low-Light Shooting, Drawing from Concealed Holsters or Purses. (206 Rounds Minimum)
All of these NRA courses come with NRA certificates and follow the NRA syllabus. The price includes NRA student packets. NRA courses must be reserved at least two weeks in advance.
Weather Appropriate Clothing
The shooting component of these courses are conducted outside. It could be very cold or very hot. Dress for the outdoor weather. A hat is recommended to deflect shell casings and to keep the sun out of your eyes, as well as lotion to protect your skin from the ultra-violet radiation. For cold weather, gloves are recommended.